Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sweet Birthday Wishes

Two of the sweetest things happened this weekend because it was Emily's birthday.

The first, my friend Mary from My Friend and the things she has taught me insited that I buy Emily a musical Hallmark card for her birthday. Now don't fall over dead when I say this, but I generally consider cards to be a waste of money if they cost over 98 cents. But it was her money not mine. And she just knew that Emily would LOVE it. Then she asked me to put $5.00 in the card. Now that, in and of it's self isn't extravagent. But when you consider that this lady, after all bills are paid receives $50.00 for the ENTIRE month it seems a little extravagant. Again her money not mine. So I did it. She was right Emily loved it.

We have these kids that we have been bringing to church for several years now. Their home life has been rough, Mom in jail etc etc etc. Then DHS took them from Grandma & placed them with an Aunt. She is now raising her 3 neices & 1 nephew along with her 3 kids. We've known them pre Aunt & now with Aunt. They have done amazingly well, not perfect but soooo much better. But this past weekend they reached out past themselves, which is HUGH for kids that are constantly fighting for their place in life. They set up a lemonade stand & used the proceeds to buy Emily a birthday card & candy. Then when Emily received more gifts from friends at church the youngest one cried because she didn't get anything for her birthday.

So often we help & help & help and when we don't see the results that WE think we should see, we think that their are no results.

6 comments:

Edie said...

Hi Lisa! I've read though a few of your posts and they are so sweet! There is so much heart and love in each of these. I really enjoyed visiting.

Best Wishes on the blog makeover contest!

Kelly said...

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your poem. And I like your blog! The green goes with the spinach and popeye! LOL!

But a make over is fun. Good luck!

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Lisa,
Just stoppin in to say hi and I've really enjoyed my visit!
Like Kelly, I love the green! It's so fresh and cheery!
Hope you have a wonderful night.
Pssst.. I don't usually spend alot on cards either... I usually just make em! LOL
Hugs,
from the potting shed!
Lea

Edie said...

Hi Lisa!

The three finalists in the Blog Makeover contest have been announced at Rich Gifts & Graphics. http://richgift.blogspot.com/

Thanks for participating!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

what a precious story. You have really made a difference in their lives because you've allowed God's love to shine through you! Praise God for you and your precious family.

I'm coming by via edie.

Nice to meet you!
Sonya

My ADHD Me said...

Hi Lisa.
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow "runner-up".
Your poems were terrific.
We'll get um next time!

Susan Lucci (that's how I'm signing all my comments today!)